We are fast approaching the busy holiday season, a time to celebrate with family and friends. Unfortunately, it can also be a time of stress during which we lose sight of our routine healthy eating and active living habits.
Here are a few tips for maintaining your health and sanity this holiday season.
- Make moving part of every event. Being physically active makes everyone feel good!
- Grab a friend or relative and sign up for your local turkey trot. Running helps relieve stress and you’ll feel incredibly accomplished when you finish. Follow the link for a list of November Maine Races
- Encourage guests to arrive early and organize a game of flag football pre-holiday meal, your chances of being active decline after a big meal.
- Not into football? Challenge family to a wall sit contest, see who can hold the squat position longest.
- Play Simon Says but have the adults follow the kids – they can get into some pretty athletic and very creative positions.
- Didn’t get a chance to be physically active before the meal? Going on walk can be fun for the whole family. There’s even a full moon on November 25
- Savor the Flavor! Take time to pay attention to the taste of each bite of food. If we eat slowly, we have time to appreciate the recipe, socialize and let our bodies realize we’re full.
- Be a role model. Keep in mind that children follow what the adults around them do. By setting a good example this holiday season you can create healthy holiday traditions that will extend for many years to come.
Remember to make time to take care of yourself this holiday season, you’ll feel that much better going into 2016!
Happy holidays from your friends at Let’s Go!